- 1 Pomelo or ruby red — grapefruit
- 1 small Whole cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup Cooked shrimp
- 1 teaspoon Chopped red chile
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Chopped fresh coriander
- 1 small Head red leaf lettuce — for
- 1/4 cup Roasted peanuts — chopped
- 6 Shallots — thinly sliced
- 1 cup Vegetable oil
Peel and separate pomelo or grapefruit into segments. Remove the
membranes. Seed. Gently flake the flesh apart into a bowl. Chill.
Hand shred the chicken. Add chicken and shrimp to pomelo.
In a small bowl mix together the chopped red chile with fish sauce,
sugar, lime juice and coriander; toss with pomelo chicken mixture.
Arrange the lettuce on a serving platter. Put the fruit mixture over
the lettuce. Top with peanuts and 2 tablespoons of Crisp Fried Shallot
Flakes, and garnish with red chile slivers.
CRISP FRIED SHALLOT FLAKES: Slice shallots into thin slices. Be sure
they are all of the same thinness to ensure even cooking.
Heat a pan with the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add shallots and fry slowly
until browned and crisp, 5 to 10 minutes.
The moisture in the shallots should be completely cooked out. Drain on paper towel.
Store in an air- tight container. Will keep several weeks.