- 3 1 oz square of unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/4 c confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 c butter
- 3 egg yolks (I use the whites to make macaroons or meringue cookies)
- 1 tsp vanilla or
- 2 TBSP of cognac
1. Melt chocolate. Combine sugar and butter in bowl. Cream together. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time. Stir in melted chocolate and flavoring. Chill mixture. Break off pieces and form into balls. Roll in coating. Air-dry 1 hour. Store in air-tight container in very cool place. Makes about fifty truffles.
2. Suggested coatings: ground almonds or other nuts, cocoa, more melted chocolate, confectioners’ sugar, coconut, chocolate or colored jimmies.
Note: that this uses raw egg yolks. I find a melon baller to be very handy in forming the truffles.