- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/6 t. salt
- 8 t. water
- 2/3 cup + 4 t. sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1. Place the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and whisk until smooth. Set aside. Combine the sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan large enough to eventually hold the milk and cream. Dissolve the sugar in the water over low heat.
2. This may take a while. An alternative is to use the microwave, and then transfer the sugar solution to a saucepan. Increase to high heat and cook the syrup until it is golden amber colored.
3. While the sugar is carmelizing, scald the milk and cream. As soon as the caramel is a golden-amber color, slowly add the milk and cream, 2 T. at a time.
4. Be very careful, as the mixture will bubble up. Whisk the caramel cream into the eggs. Strain and refrigerate until cold. Freeze according to ice cream machine instructions.