Fried Soft Shell Crab soft shell crabs in a lightly seasoned coating, sautéed and baked until crispy.
- 18 live soft shell crabs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 oz. lemon juice
- 3 dashes soy sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten with
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups plain bread crumbs oil, for frying cocktail sauce, for serving
1. Clean crabs; do not remove top shell; using cool water – rinse well.
2. Place on large sheet pan. Combine salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, lemon, soy sauce; season crabs; cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
3. When ready to cook, place flour in shallow dish; beat eggs in another shallow dish and place breadcrumbs in another shallow dish. Coat crabs in flour, shake off excess; dip in egg wash; shake off excess; dredge in bread crumb coating well. Place on plate till ready to cook.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Meanwhile, heat about an inch of oil in heavy skillet. Place crabs in hot oil cooking on one side for 4 to 5 minutes; turn and continue to cook until browned and crispy.
5. Transfer to baking sheet and place in preheated oven for 8 minutes to heat all the way through.
6. Serve with sauce of choice: cocktail sauce, Dijon sauce or a Remoulade sauce.