Makes 4 servings.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 (1/2-inch thick) slices Italian bread
- 6 ounces Fontina cheese, thinly sliced into 8 slices
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 large arugula leaves
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 3 tablespoons butter/margarine, melted
1. In bowl, blend mayo w/ parmesan; spread over one side of each bread slice, dividing evenly.
2. On prepared side of each of 4 bread slices, layer, in order, dividing evenly, half the Fontina, all the tomato, the arugula, onion, pesto, and remaining Fontina.
3. Top with remaining bread, mayo side down. Brush top of each with half of the melted butter. In large skillet, grill sandwich buttered side down, over low heat.
4. Brush tops with remaining butter; turn and cook until golden brown and cheese is melted.