Grilled Vegetable Heros
- 2 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, plus
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 8 large basil leaves
- 2 Italian sandwich rolls with, split lengthwise (horizontally)
- 1 large firm tomato, cut into
- 4 slices Salt, to taste Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons bottled Italian salad dressing
- 4 thin slices Provolone cheese
1. Prepare grill (medium-high heat). Arrange zucchini, bell pepper and tomato on rimmed baking sheet. Whisk dressing and chopped basil in medium bowl to blend. Brush cut side of each roll with 1/2 tablespoon dressing mixture. Brush vegetables with remaining dressing mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Grill cut side of rolls until toasted, about 1 minute. Place rolls, cut-side up, on plates. Grill vegetables until tender and lightly charred, turning and brushing occasionally with any dressing mixture left on baking sheet, about 10 minutes.
3. Arrange warm vegetables on roll bottoms. Cover each with 2 slices cheese, 4 whole basil leaves and top of roll.
Yields: 2 servings