English Butter Chocolate Toffee
- 2 Butter
- 1 c Sugar
- 1 tb Corn syrup
- 1 ts Vanilla extract
- 6 oz Semisweet chocolate chips; m
- 3/4 c Almonds, roasted; diced
1. In a large heavy 4 1/2-qt saucepan, combine butter, sugar, corn syrup, and 3 Tbs water. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until butter melts. Cover and heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Boil 1 min. Remove cover; place a candy thermometer in pan.
2. Cook over medium-high heat until syrup reaches 300 F, stirring often after mixture reaches 250 F to prevent scorching. If mixture begins to darken at sides of pan, reduce heat to medium. Stir in vanilla. Pour toffee immediately into a well-buttered 9-inch square metal pan (do not use glass, or candy will be too difficult to remove). Let cool completely at room temperature.
3. Turn toffee out of pan onto a sheet of wax paper or foil. Spread half of melted chocolate over toffee and sprinkle half of almonds on top, pressing lightly into chocolate. Let stand until chocolate is almost set. Turn over and spread uncoated side with remaining chocolate and sprinkle with remaining nuts.
4. Let stand overnight until chocolate is set and completely dry. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.