CREAM CHEESE POUND CAKE
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter or margarine, softened
- 2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Powdered sugar
1. BEAT softened butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until creamy. Gradually add sugar, and beat 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
2. COMBINE half-and-half and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with half-and-half mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
3. BAKE at 325° for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar, and serve with fresh berries, if desired. Makes 1 (10-inch) cake.
4. Bonus: For Cinnamon-Pecan Swirl Pound Cake: Stir together 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted; 3 tablespoons brown sugar; and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon. Pour half of batter into pan; sprinkle with pecan mixture, and top with remaining batter. Bake as directed.