Hand-rolled soft pretzels Recipe with a distinctively good taste.
- 1 1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast (1 1/2 packages)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 cup bread flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda coarse salt, to taste
- 2 – 4 tablespoons butter, melted
1. In large bowl, combine yeast, sugar and water; stir to mix; let proof 5 to 10 minutes (until foamy).
2. Stir in flours and salt; mix well; turn onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
3. Place ball of dough into lightly greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover with damp towel and let rise at room temperature 45 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease baking sheet; set aside.
5. With sharp knife, divide dough into 10 pieces of equal size.
6. Roll each piece into a long rope ½-inch in diameter.Shape into a twisted pretzel.
7. In shallow dish, combine water and baking soda; dip each pretzel and place on baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
8. Remove from oven, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse salt.
Makes 10 pretzels