Baked Potato Soup a chicken-based cream soup with baked potatoes and onions.
- 2 cups finely diced yellow onions
- 1/4 lb (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 quart warm water
- 1/4 cup chicken bouillon
- 1 cup potato flakes salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried basil to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- 2 cups potatoes, diced but unpeeled
1. In large pot, saute onions in butter for 10 minutes or until tender; sprinkle flour over onions and continue to cook for 4 to 5 minutes longer, until flour is completely absorbed.
2. In bowl, combine water, chicken bouillon, potato flakes, and seasonings; whisk to combine; be sure mixture is lump-free. Pour mixture into onion mixture, 2 cups at a time.
3. Add milk, Tabasco and cream; continue whisking until smooth and slightly thickened. Reduce heat; simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, in separate pot, cover potatoes with water; bring to boil; simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain; add to creamed mixture and stir gently to combine. Serve hot.