- 12 C Assorted Salad Greens — to 14 C, Boston, red
- — leaf, romaine, etc.
- 2 Nectarines — slic in wedges
- 1/3 C Walnuts — toasted, *
- Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 2/3 C Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 C Orange Juice
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Clove Garlic — mashed
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- Black Pepper — to taste
A colorful array of greenery tossed with a savory balsamic vinaigrette.
Whenever nectarines are available, especially during the summer season,
I slice up 2 of the succulent fruits and add them to the salad. They
lend a delightfully refreshing touch. This recipe won 1st prize in a
salad contest run by a Boston area newspaper.
1. Choose at least three of the varied salad greens – I usually select
Boston and red leaf as my base and add two other types for their
color and flavor.
2. Wash the greens, pat dry, and pile them into a large salad bowl.
Adorn the greenery with the fruit and toasted walnuts.
3. Beat together the oil, vinegar, orange juice, mustard, garlic, salt,
and pepper in a bowl.
4. Pour the dressing over the greenery and toss well to coat evenly.
Present at once.