Sloppy Veggie Burgers
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium green or red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen texturized vegetable crumbles, for recipes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste Black pepper, to taste
1. Heat oil in a deep 12-inch, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Peel and coarsely chop the onion, adding it to the skillet as you chop. Seed and chop the bell pepper, and add it to the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes to soften the onions, stirring from time to time.
2. Add garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, texturized vegetable protein crumbles, salt and black pepper to taste. Stir until all of the tomato paste is thoroughly incorporated.
3. Lower the heat to simmer and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. While the sauce simmers, toast or heat hamburger buns, if desired.
4. To serve, spoon equal amounts of sauce on each bun bottom and cover with the bun top.