Garden burger garden burgers are the original veggie burgers made with real, natural ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons bulgur wheat
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (rolled oats)
- 2/3 cup cooked, cooled brown rice
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
1. In small bowl, combine wheat and ¼ cup boiling water; mix well and set aside until wheat has doubled in size, approximately 1 hour.
2. In small bowl, soak oats in ½ cup water for 10 minutes.
3. In small saucepan add a little water, saute mushrooms until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes, transfer to bowl and drain any excess liquid; add onions to same pan with a little water and saute until tender; transfer to separate bowl.
4. When ready, drain excess water from wheat and from oats. Transfer wheat, oats, mushrooms, rice, soy sauce, cheeses and seasoning to food processor; pulse until finely chopped but not pureed, about 4 or 5 times.
5. Transfer mixture to bowl; add onions and cornstarch; mix well.6. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spray large skillet with cooking oil; place over medium-high heat.
7. Using ½ cup measure, shape into patties about ½- inch thick. Brown on each side; remove from frying pan to lightly sprayed baking sheet.
8. Bake 22 to 25 minutes in preheated oven, turn patties halfway through baking time. Remove from baking sheet and allow to cool completely.
9. When completely cold, wrap patties and place in resealable freezer bags. Freeze.