Fried Chicken a crisp, crunchy and zesty flavored coating surrounds each piece of chicken, briefly fried and baked to finish cooking.
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package Italian salad dressing mix (powder)
- 1 (1 1/2-oz.) package onion soup mix
- 1 (1/2-oz.) package spaghetti sauce mix
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups corn flakes – crushed slightly
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 lbs. chicken, cut up
1. In small bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, seasoned salt, paprika, baking soda, dry salad mix, dry soup mix, dry spaghetti sauce mix, and sugar; whisk well to combine; transfer to shallow dish.
2. In separate shallow dish, crush corn flakes.
3. In bowl, combine eggs and water; mix well.
4. Heat oil (a depth of 1-inch) in heavy skillet. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 12 X 9 X 2-inch baking pan; set aside.
5. Working with one piece of chicken at a time, place chicken in seasoned mixture; press to coat well; shake off excess; dip in egg wash; shake off excess; press into corn flake crumbs; shake off excess; place back into seasoned mixture.
6. Carefully place chicken pieces into hot oil and brown 3 to 4 minutes; turn and brown the other side 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to prepared pan in single layer; placing skin-side up. Cover with foil, leaving one side of the foil loose so that the steam can escape during baking.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes, removing foil to test the tenderness of the chicken. Uncover; bake and additional 5 minutes for the coating to crisp.