- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon dark molasses
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, molasses and melted butter.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add the cornmeal last, stirring just until combined; the batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Drop by tablespoons ful on a hot greased griddle until bubbles form around the outer edges.
- Turn and brown on the other side —
- Serve with butter and sorghum molasses or maple syrup.