Heroic Baklava a rich, sweet pastry made of layers of phyllo dough filled with chopped nuts and sweetened with honey.
- 1 lb. phyllo dough
- 1/2 lb. butter, melted
- 1 1/2 lbs. walnuts, unsalted toasted/ coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup honey
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 small piece lemon peel
- 1 small piece orange peel
- 1 1-inch cinnamon stick
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 13 X 9 X 2- inch baking pan; set aside.
2. Prepare filling: In small bowl, combine nuts, sugar, ground cinnamon and cloves; mix well and set aside.
3. Prepare syrup: In heavy saucepan, combine honey, water, sugar, lemon juice, lemon and orange peels, and cinnamon stick. Bring to simmer and simmer for 10 minutes. Cool. When cool, remove peels and discard. Set aside.
4. Thaw phyllo dough; unwrap and fold entire amount in half, like the pages of a book. Keep a damp towel to cover as you are working. Turn over one sheet at a time and using a soft brush, brush with melted butter; repeating until 1/3 have been brushed with butter.
5. Lay flat in bottom of prepared baking pan. Spread ½ of nut filling over top.
6. Brush another 1/3 of sheets; place over nuts in pan, laying flat. Top with remaining nut mixture.
7. Brush remaining sheets and lay on top. Brush top sheet with remaining butter.
8. Using a sharp knife, score pastry into diamonds without cutting through to bottom. Make diagonals by cutting horizontal cuts across pan, then across diagonally from one end of each horizontal line.
9. Place in preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed, crisp and deep golden in color.
10. Remove from oven and pour cooled syrup over baklava.
11. Let stand 4 hours. When cool, cut through to bottom layer in scored cuts.
Makes about 24 pieces.