Baked Monte Cristo Sandwich a stacked sandwich of turkey and Swiss, baked and not fried. Served with a Dijon mustard dipping sauce.
- 4 (1 oz.) slices Swiss cheese
- 4 (1 oz.) slices cooked turkey
- 8 slices firm white bread
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
Dijon Mustard Dipping
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Place 1 slice of cheese and 1 slice of turkey on each of 4 bread slices. Top each with a slice of bread to make 4 sandwiches.
3. In pie plate beat eggs, milk and dry soup mix until well blended. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture, spooning onion pieces onto bread.
4. Make sure all egg mixture is used. Place butter in 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan. Set in oven a couple of minutes to melt butter.
5. Carefully place sandwiches in pan and drizzle any remaining egg mixture over them. Bake 5 minutes. Carefully turn sandwiches and continue baking until golden brown.
6. Prepare dipping sauce: In bowl, combine the sour cream, milk and mustard. Mix well and then chill until ready to serve.