Taco corn tortillas filled with a mildly seasoned beef and refried bean filling, deep fried until crisp adding cheese with lettuce and topped with salsa.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/3 cup refried beans
- 1 tablespoon potato flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup mild taco sauce, divided use
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- 3 cups cooking oil, Crisco brand
- 6 slices American cheese
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
1. In skillet over low heat, brown beef; drain fat. Stir in refried beans, mashing the beans with the back of a large spoon to make a smooth mixture. Add potato flakes; stir well to combine. Add salt, chili powder, cayenne and 2 tablespoons taco sauce; combine well; remove from heat.
2. Using heavy skillet over medium heat, bring ¼-inch of vegetable oil to 350 degrees F.
3. Meanwhile, heat tortillas slightly in the microwave. Spoon beef mixture into the center of tortilla; fold tortilla over and press to seal; the filling holds the sides together.
4. Carefully drop each taco into hot oil and fry until crisp, turning once. When crisp on both sides, remove to paper towels or wire rack to drain.
5. Working quickly, carefully open each taco and add ½ slice American cheese and some lettuce. Top each taco with ½ teaspoon taco sauce or salsa.
Makes 12 tacos; serving 6