A family favorite for years, this is a melt in your mouth fudge which will satisfy even the most insistent chocolate craving.
- 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Butter a 9×9 inch dish. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine chocolate, butter and milk. Bring to a
boil and let boil 1 minute. Stir in sugar and salt until dissolved.
2. Heat, stirring constantly, to between 234 and 240 degrees F (112 to 116 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water and placed on a flat surface.
3. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool 10 minutes.
4. Beat fudge with a spoon until it loses its gloss. Pour quickly into the buttered dish.
5. Refrigerate 30 minutes, until firm.
Original recipe yield: 1 – 9×9 inch dish.