Chicken con Zucchini rigatoni covered with sauteed zucchini slices and smothered in a tomato – mushroom sauce infused with the fine blend of Italian seasonings.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 16 oz. canned tomatoes, diced and drained
- 1 1/2 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup black olives, sliced and drained
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil dried basil dried oregano salt and black pepper
- 1 lb. rigatoni, cooked grated Parmesan cheese
1. Prepare sauce: Cut half the mushrooms into quarters; set aside. Finely mince remaining mushrooms.
2. In large heavy skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil; add onion and finely minced mushrooms. Saute 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are soft.
3. Add garlic and quartered mushrooms; cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not let this mixture stick or burn. Add remaining sauce ingredients; bring to simmer, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Meanwhile, slice zucchini and sprinkle with salt, pepper, basil and oregano.
5. In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat and place zucchini slices in skillet in single layer, sautéing about 3 minutes per side until tender. Do this in batches, removing cooked zucchini to platter and covering to keep warm until all the zucchini is cooked. Add more olive oil as needed.
6. Place pasta on serving platter. Ladle sauce generously over pasta; top with cooked zucchini slices; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve hot.