- 1 (2 lb) package plain hash browns, thawed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken, if you prefer)
- 2/3 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups corn flakes, crushed (or potato chips)
- Saute onion, bell peppers and celery in butter until soft.
- Mix all ingredients except cornflakes and spread into an oiled baking dish.
- Top with cornflakes.
- Bake 40 minutes at 350 F.