Chocolate Almond Biscotti
- 1/2 c Butter or margarine softened
- 1 1/4 c Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 ts Almond extract
- 2 1/4 c All-purpose flour
- 1/4 c Hershey’s Cocoa -OR- European Style Cocoa
- 1 ts Baking powder
- 1/4 ts Salt
- 1 c Sliced almonds Additional sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 c Hershey’s Semi-Sweet Chips
- 1 tb Shortening*
- 1/4 c Premier White Chips (Hershey’s)
- 1 ts Shortening
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar until well blended. Add eggs and almond extract; beat until smooth. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; blend into butter mixture, beating until smooth. (Dough will be thick.) Using wooden spoon, work almonds into dough. Divide dough in half.
2. With lightly floured hands, shape each half into rectangular log about 2 inches in diameter and 11 inches long; place on large ungr eased cookie sheet, at least 2 inches apart. Bake 30 minutes or until logs are set. Remove from oven; cool on cookie sheet 15 minutes. Using serrated knife and sawing motion, cut logs into 1/2-inch diagonal slices. Discard end pieces.
3. Arrange slices, cut sides down, close together on cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 9 minutes. Turn each slice over; bake an additional 8 to 9 minutes. Remove from oven; cool on cookie sheet on wire rack. Dip end of each biscotti in Chocolate Glaze or drizzle glaze over entire cookie. Drizzle White Glaze over chocolate glaze. Garnish with additional almonds, if desired. About 2-1/2 dozen cookies. Chocolate Glaze: In small microwave-safe bowl, place 1 cup Hershey’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and 1 tablespoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine or oil).
4. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until smooth when stirred. About 1 cup glaze. White Glaze: In small microwave-safe bowl, place 1/4 cup Hershey’s Premier White Chips and 1 teaspoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine or oil). Microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 to 45 seconds oruntil smooth when stirred. About 1/4 cup glaze.