This candy is good any time of the year but it’s especially festive at Christmas! Vanilla, lemon or walnut extract can be easily substituted for almond to add a little variety to your candies.
- 1 cup water
- 3 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
1. Lightly grease one 12×18 inch or larger baking sheet. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the water, sugar and corn syrup.
2. Heat over high, stirring constantly with a heat resistant spoon, until all sugar is dissolved.
3. Stop stirring and bring to a boil. Boil until a candy thermometer reads 310 degrees F (154 degrees C). Remove from heat.
4. When bubbling has ceased, stir in the flavoring and a food coloring. Spread into the prepared pan so that the candy is no more than 1/4 inch thick. Cool for 45 minutes in the refrigerator. Remove from refrigerator, crack into pieces and enjoy!
Original recipe yield: 2 pounds.