Chocolate Jar Cake
- 1 stick plus 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- s4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups applesauce
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and 1&1/2 cups sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and remaining sugar. Add vanilla and applesauce.
2. Sift together dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl; add to cream mixture. Sterilize and dry 8 one pint, wide mouth jar. Grease the inside with spoon 1 cup batter in each; wipe rims clean.
3. Place filled jars on a 13. x9″ baking dish. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes to one hour or until center tests done.
4. Sterilize lids in boiling water, place on jars and tighten down rings. Makes 8 pint size cakes. Keep several jars in a basket by the door as gifts for friends who drop by for a holiday visit.