Brittany Mixed Fish Soup
- 3lb mixed fish, cleaned
- 2 lge onions, peeled
- 1 lge clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 6 med potatoes, peeled,in 1/4s
- 10 cup water
- 2 med. bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjorin
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Slices of crusty French bread
* Flounder, mackerel, cod, or haddock ** Sliced thin
1. Cut fish into chunks of equal size. Saute onions and garlic in heated butter or margarine in a large kettle until tender.
2. Add potatoes, water, bay leaves, thyme marjoram, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
3. Add prepared fish and lower heat to moderate. Cook, covered, about 25 minutes, until fish and potatoes are tender.
4. Remove and discard bay leaves. Put slices of bread in wide soup plates. Ladle broth over bread.
Serve fish and potatoes separately on a platter. Serves 6 to 8.