Bacalaitos (Salt Codfish Fritters)
- 1/2 lb codfish, salt
- 2 cup flour, all-purpose
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large garlic cloves; crushed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon annatto oil
- 1 oil, vegetable; for frying
1. Soak the codfish in cold water for 2 hours or longer, according the saltiness and hardness of the fish.
2. Drain, rinse and place in a small saucepan. Pour boiling water over the fish and allow to stand 5 minutes.
3. Drain. Remove any bones and skin and shred the fish. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
4. Add the garlic, water and annatto oil and mix to a smooth batter. Add the shredded fish and mix well.
5. Heat oil to 370F in a deep fryer or large, heavy saucepan. Fry the the mixture by teaspoonfuls until golden brown.
6. Drain on paper towels, keep warm and serve hot as hors-d’aeuvres.