Strawberry Pie the sweetness of fresh strawberries in a flaky crust.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/8 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/8 cup ice water fresh strawberries, for garnish
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 12 oz. 7-Up red food coloring
- 1 pint strawberries whipped cream
1. In medium bowl, add flour and salt; whisk to combine; using pastry cutter or 2 forks, cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add water, a drop at a time; continue cutting until desired consistency for pie dough. Shape into ball; cover; chill for 1 hour.
2. Prepare filling: In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and 7-Up; whisk well. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture becomes thick. Cool to room temperature. Add a few drops of food coloring; mix well.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Remove dough from refrigerator and let stand 15 minutes before rolling. Pat dough into a round: roll to
fit 9-inch pie pan. Crimp edges; place in preheated oven and bake shell until done; remove from oven
and cool completely.
5. Wash and drain strawberries; cut into quarters, or smaller depending on size and place in large bowl.
Sprinkle with 1 or 2 teaspoons sugar; stir gently and transfer to cooled pie shell. Pour 7-Up mixture over
strawberries; allow to set for 10 minutes; refrigerate.
6. To serve, top with whipped cream and place a fresh strawberry on top.