Microwave Seafood Paella
- 3 green onions
- 3/4 cup short-grain rice (such as valencia,; arborio or pearl
- 1 long grain rice
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (16 oz.)
- 1 can low-salt or regular chicke
- n broth (; 14 1/2 oz.)
- 3/4 teaspoon dry thy
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2/3 cup frozen petite peas (do not thaw)
- 8 live blue mussels or
- 8 small live greenshell mussels
- 6 oz raw medium shell-on shrimp
- 3/4 lb orange roughy, cut into
- 1 inch piec; es
1. Finely slice green onions; reserve 1/4 cup of the green tops for garnish. In a deep microwaveable casserole bowl or 8 cup measure, combine onions. rice, tomatoes and their liquid, broth, thyme, pepper and salt (dish needs to be twice the height of these combined ingredients).
2. Cover dish tightly and microwave on high (100% power) for 16 minutes, rotating the dish a quarter turn halfway through cooking.
3. Remove the dish from microwave; stir in peas. Arrange mussels and shrimp alternately around the edge of dish, sticking mussels upright into the ricemixture and shrimp head down and tail toward center (they do not need to becompletely covered with liquid). Arrange fish pieces in an even layer in center, on top of the rice mixture.
4. Cover and microwave on high until most of the fish has turned opaque throughout and mussels open, 5 to 8 minutes more. Mixture will look saucy. Let stand, covered, about 3 minutes for fish to finish cooking. Serve in wide shallow bowls and sprinkle with reserved green onions over
each serving. Makes 4 servings.
Note: Clams, Scallops and Grouper may be substituted. Per serving: 345 Calories, 31 g Protein, 35 g Carbohydrates, .6
g SaturatedFat, 1 g Monounsaturated Fat, .8 g Polyunsaturated Fat, .4 g Omega-3 Fat, 83 mg Cholesterol, 700 mg Sodium.