Grilled Garlic Steak Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 cups butter or margarine
- 30 cloves garlic, minced (about 2/3 cup)
- 5 large red bell peppers
- 5 large green bell peppers
- 3 large (about 1 1/2 pounds total) onions
- 3 flank steaks, each 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds
1. Blend butter and 1/3 of the minced garlic. Clean and cut peppers in strips. Coarsely chop onions.
2. Divide peppers, onions, and remaining garlic evenly between two 5 to 6-quart pans. To each pan add 3 tablespoons garlic butter mixture. Place pans over medium-high heat. Stir often until vegetables are browned and onions taste sweet, about 30 minutes; keep warm.
3. Place flank steaks on grill, turning frequently until desired doneness, allowing 10 to 14 minutes for rare. Transfer steaks to cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Toast rolls on grill. Cut the steaks thinly across the grain. Fill rolls equally with sliced steak and pepper-garlic mixture.
4. Serve with a variety of salads and grilled corn on the cob. Corn on the cob can be served hot or tepid, with a variety of toppings such as honey butter, pesto, lime wedges and salt and spreadable herbed cheese (such as Rondele or Boursin).