California Sugarless Apple Pie
- 5 California Fuji apples (about 2 pounds)
- 1 or 2 California Granny Smith apples (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup seedless raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Unbaked pastry for two-crust 9″ pie
1. Peel, core and slice apples; set aside. Dissolve cornstarch in 2 tablespoons cold apple juice concentrate; set aside.
2. Combine remaining concentrate, butter and raisins in 4-quart kettle or 10″ skillet. Heat to boiling and simmer a few minutes to plump raisins.
3. Stir in apple slices. Cover and steam 3 to 5 minutes until apples are heated through.
4. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring gently, until thickened and clear.
5. Add seasonings and vanilla; stir well. Set aside.
6. Line ungreased glass pie pan with pastry. Spoon in filling and spread evenly. Top with second crust. Seal and flute edges as desired. Cut slits in top crust.
7. Bake at 425ºF for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350ºF and bake 20 to 30 minutes more or until crust is golden brown.