Apple Pie an easy way to dress-up a frozen pie and intensify the flavor.
- 1 (9-inch) frozen deep-dish apple pie
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed, divided use
- 3 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided use
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 10 tablespoons frozen butter
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts ice cream (optional)
1. Remove frozen pie from box and place on wire rack to thaw at room temperature 30 to 45 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Melt stick of butter in small saucepan over medium heat; add ½ cup brown sugar, 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon, allspice, cloves and lemon juice. Whisk to combine until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cool completely.
4. With sharp knife, cut an “X” in the center of the top crust; carefully fold back. Carefully pour butter mixture evenly into the pie; carefully replace top crust; leaving 4 vents, seal the rest of the pastry.
5. Place in preheated oven; bake for 30 minutes; remove from oven; set aside; reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
6. Grate frozen butter into bowl; add flour, remaining sugars, remaining cinnamon and walnuts: carefully mix well.
7. Using foil, make a rim with a lip to hold nut topping and place around pie. Sprinkle nut topping evenly over top; return to oven; bake 30 to 40 minutes. Remove foil. Remove to wire rack to cool slightly.
8. Serve with ice cream, if desired.