Strawberry Chocolate Shortcake
- 1 pt Strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 pt Raspberries, rinsed
- 1 c Sugar
- 2 c All-purpose flour
- 1/2 c Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tb Baking powder
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 6 tb Unsalted butter, cut into Bits and chilled
- 1/2 c Milk
- 1 ts Vanilla
- 1 c Heavy cream Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish Bottled hot fudge sauce Optional
1. Preheat oven to 425. Place strawberries and raspberries in medium size bowl. Gently stir in 1/4 cup sugar; toss to coat. Let stand 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, prepare chocolate shortcake: Combine flour, cocoa powder, remaining sugar, the baking powder and salt in large bowl. With pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor fashion, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Slowly add milk and vanilla, toss with fork, until mixture just come together. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.
3. Knead lightly about 10 times. Pat or roll dough to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut out with 4- inch round fluted cookie cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Reroll the scraps and cut out more shortcakes, for a total of four. Bake in 425 oven for 12 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove shortcakes to wire rack to cool completely. Cut each shortcakes in half horizontally. Place bottom halves on plates. Spoon some juice from strawberry mixture over bottoms.
4. Spoon strawberry mixture on each bottom half, reserving a few berries for garnish. Spoon about 1/2 cup whipped cream over each. Cover with top half. Garnish with fruit and mint. Drizzle with fudge sauce if desired. Cut in half for two servings.