Seafood Torcello cod, crab and shrimp in a clam-sherry sauce over pasta.
- 1 lb. cod fillets
- 6 oz. dry radiatore, spirelli or other pasta, cooked
- 6 oz. clams, drained and chopped
- 6 oz. rock shrimp, cooked
- 6 oz. crabmeat, picked over
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup straight sherry, not dry
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with foil; spray foil with cooking spray.
2. Place cod fillets on prepared baking sheet and bake, uncovered, for 5 to 6 minutes, only until the cod flakes easily. Immediately remove from oven to prevent overcooking. Cool, break fillets in half lengthwise; break each half into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
3. Meanwhile, bring large pot of water to boil, cook pasta, drain; do not rinse.
4. While preparing pasta, prepare the sauce: In heavy non-reactive 3-quart pot (not aluminum), melt butter over moderate heat; add flour and cook 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Do not allow flour to brown. Add milk and salt; bring to just below boiling point, whisking constantly — do not boil milk. Remove from heat; keep warm at 180 degrees F.
5. Meanwhile, place oil in saute pan and heat over medium heat; add garlic and saute only until white throughout; transfer garlic to sauce.
6. Pour sherry into saute pan garlic was in; simmer strongly for 1 minute; transfer to warm sauce.
7. Add cooked pasta to sauce; return saucepan to low heat for a few minutes; add cooked cod, clams, shrimp, crabmeat and chopped parsley. Heat through; serve immediately.