Roasted Red Pepper Stuffed Sandwich This stuffed sandwich is packed with flavor combining three cheeses, roasted red peppers, red onion and basil.
- 1 (1-pound) loaf Italian or French bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup prepared olive oil vinaigrette salad dressing
- 4 to 5 lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 6 slices (1/2-ounce each) LAND O LAKES® Chedarella®, Cheddar or Swiss Cheese
- 1/2 (7 1/4-ounce) jar (1/2 cup) roasted red pepper slices, drained
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup mild banana pepper rings
- 1/3 cup pitted ripe olives
- 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves
1. Scoop out center of top half of bread, leaving 1/2-inch shell; set aside.
2. Brush both cut sides of bread with dressing. Layer bottom half of loaf with lettuce leaves, tomatoes, cheese, roasted red pepper, onion, banana pepper, olives and basil leaves. Cover with top half of bread.
3. Wrap entire loaf in plastic food wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving to blend flavors.
4. Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before serving. Cut into slices.
Makes 6 sandwiches. Substitute 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves.