Great, Great Grandpa Apell had a huge farm in Illinois with prize-winning corn. He made Popcorn Balls for all the Grandkids at Christmastime. He lived to be 106 and claimed workin’ the farm and eatin’ corn was the secret! This recipe is delicious!
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 pound butter
- 1/4 cup water salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar (optional)
- 5 quarts popped popcorn
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, corn syrup, butter and water.
2. Stir and heat to hard-crack stage or 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
3. Remove from heat, add vanilla or vinegar; mix well.
4. Pour slowly over popped popcorn while stirring. Wait 5 minutes and shape into 3 inch round balls.
Original recipe yield: 10 – 3 inch round balls.