- 1 lb ground meat, browned and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red chile sauce or enchilada sauce
- 12 flour tortillas
- 1 oil for frying
- 2 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 cup chopped green onions
1. In a large skillet, brown meat and drain. Add onion and chile or enchilada sauce. Spoon about 3 tbsp of meat filling in center of each tortilla.
2. Fold tortilla, tucking in ends, and fasten with wooden toothpicks. Only assemble 2 or 3 at a time as tortilla will absorb liquid from sauce.
3. In a large frying pan, with 1 inch of oil over medium heat, fry folded tortilla, turning until golden about 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Drain on paper towels and keep warm.l Garnish with cheese, lettuce, and onion.
Yield: 12 Chimichangas or fried burritos
From: “Celebrate San Antonio – A Cookbook” by the San Antonio Junior
Forum, 1986. ISBN 0-961917-0-0 Posted by: Karin Brewer, Cooking Echo, 8/92
Yield: 6 servings