- 8 slices firm white bread
- 2 scallions, chopped (including some of the green)
- 8 slices precooked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained, patted dry
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Coat shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange half the bread in single layer in dish, cutting to fit.
- Cover with half the scallions, bacon, cheese and tomatoes.
- Repeat for a second layer.
- Combine eggs, milk, pepper and hot-pepper sauce. Pour over casserole; cover.
- Can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 375°. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
- If browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil.