- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 large baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- French bread, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- The day before serving – prepare apples and French toast: In large heavy skillet, melt butter over
- Add apple slices and cook; stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Add brown sugar, corn syrup, and cinnamon to apples.
- Cook, stirring, until brown sugar dissolves.
- Spray 9 x 13 baking pan with non-stick spray and spread apple mixture into an even layer.
- Arrange bread slices in one layer on top of apple mixture.
- In medium-sized bowl with fork, beat eggs, milk, and vanilla extract until well mixed; pour over
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day – preheat oven to 375*.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake for 30-35 minutes or until mixture is firm and bread is golden.
- Cool in pan five minutes.
- Invert serving tray over French toast and carefully turn both over to unmold so that apple layer is on top.